Sunday 22 February 2009

Dinner in Brixton




Last night I had my first adventure in Brixton. I was meeting up with my dear friend Alex and her two sisters, Maddie and Loretta. We came together from various points in London to eat amazing Ethiopian food at Ansara . As soon as we stepped foot out of the cab at the Brixton tube station I experienced a whole new vibe of London. Brixton fits the ideal I had in my head of London as being young, punk, rough around the edges and completely fun. A wonderful mix of people out having a good time- some having a really, really good time. Brixton certainly has its place in history....too much to tell you about here- but I will say that the entire time I could not get 'The Guns of Brixton' by the Clash out of my head. I know, there is still a tourist locked inside of me- don't know if she'll ever go away. I didn't get to see too much of the area because we were hungry women on a mission for food and wine: maybe sometime in the near future I will go back when I'm feeling a bit more flush and punk.



Upon entering Ansara the aroma of incense and spices was almost overwhelming. It's such a tiny place and we were sat at a tiny table in the corner being forced to be a bit more close and personal than one might be comfortable with while eating. However, with the arrival of the bottle of wine and the introduction to good conversation I felt right at home. We ordered the vegetarian celebration course which included several dishes like spicy lentils, potatoes and onions, spinach and salad- all served on the traditional injera bread. Following the mounds of vegetables and legumes (which we destroyed- not a morsel left!) we were served popcorn, and then coffee following the tradition of roasting and grinding the beans right before serving. After a final night cap we were off to catch our various buses and trains home. The night was a success on all accounts- even if having a relaxing dinner in Brixton seems a little out the ordinary.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too much fun. My stomach was growling. All that beautiful food!!

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon